style=”display:inline-block;width:728px;height:90px”
data-ad-client=”ca-pub-2983676629643435″
data-ad-slot=”5688405497″>

Consumer Rights no image

Published on August 18th, 2006 | by Babar Bhatti

Govt steps in to curb mobile phone snatching

style=”display:block”
data-ad-client=”ca-pub-2983676629643435″
data-ad-slot=”8774799491″
data-ad-format=”auto”>

According to recent news the Pakistan government has decided to setup a system to curb mobile phone snatching. Perhaps too many VIPs lost their phones! Anyway this is certainly a good initiative. It has been modelled after similar systems in other countries such as UK.

The idea is to use the unique identifier for every phone – International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) — and setup a database of stolen phones so that these phones can be locked. This is not going to stop the determined criminals but should act as a deterant, at least. The success of this will depend on the implementation and the awareness and education of the users.

For full story: http://www.brecorder.com/index.php?id=465018

For more on IMEI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMEI

13 Responses to Govt steps in to curb mobile phone snatching

1. ekbal says:

I am serving in an organization as a manager security. one of my employees has got her phone stolen in Islamabad.how can i get the phone recovered. shall wait for an early reply please

2. shahid iqbal says:

My cell phone is snachted by robbers on Nov,11,2010 09:15 PM from KM Manga road Raiwind.
    I wanna block my fone
    Nokia 5130
    IMEI # 353421048603725
    item 9546207
    Must Reply me

3. Fed up with getting low amounts of useless traffic to your website? Well i wish to tell you about a new underground tactic that produces myself $900 on a daily basis on 100% AUTOPILOT. I could be here all day and going into detail but why dont you simply check their website out? There is really a excellent video that explains everything. So if your seriously interested in making hassle-free hard cash this is the site for you. Auto Traffic Avalanche

4. sheraz says:

hi dears,

my mobile phone set nokia 1209 was snatched in rawalpindi
    how i can trace the thiefs,
    is that posible i trace which sim is switched On in my my mobile
    phone that time

please reply

regards.

sheraz

5. Stephen Brydone says:

My son Stephen Brydone’s phone was stolen from our home in Rawalpindi. It was a Nokia N78, colour lagoon blue. IMEI No.352057025796073. Webought it for him in March this year. If tracked please call Stephen on 5586980.

Regards

Mrs Brydone

6. My mobile was stolen in lawa Distt chakwal i want to block it and also want to
    get information about my mobile.

Nokia : 1110 i
    IMEI : 354842016064229

7. Aamir iqbal says:

Assalam-o-Alaikum,
    Sir,
    My mobile was stolen in swabi (NWFP). i want to block it and also want to
    get information about my mobile.

Nokia : 6233
    IMEI : 352915022005329

Please reply me on aamir_iqbal87@yahoo.com
    contact no. 00923339174263
    stolen date 31-March-2009
    i shall be very thank full to you for this kindness.

8. mansoor ahmed khan says:

my name is mansoor,i am 17 years of age and a student of EDWARDES college peshawer.my home is in district swabi village marghuz.plz can u people help me that how to trace a mobile which my sister has lost recently,a telenor sim was also present on it.
    i wuld be very very thankful if you gave me any idea about my problem.

9. Stolen Phones don’t work anymore.
    We have Started at 25Th December, 2006 Mobile phone Blockinng Section . Now Mobile Phone can stop stolen and lost phones being used on any network, Like to more information visit at web side Rescue 15 Bahawalpur call from your network 062-9255167,0800-25625 and 021-5682222 to get your stolen or lost phone blocked across every network and help stop mobile phone crime.

The International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) service was launched in collaboration with Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) under the auspices of city circle police at a ceremony held at Rescue 15 Bahawalpur.
    The service will render snatched and stolen mobile sets useless.
    In his inaugural remarks, DPO Arif Nawaz said local police were making efforts to curb crime and provide security and protection to the people by utilising technology. He stressed upon the need to create awareness among the general public to take advantage of the service.
    He said all police stations here were being linked through computer system, which would help nab criminals.
    The DPO also inaugurated Portrait Parley (criminals’ sketches) service at the Rescue-15 building.
    Earlier, city ASP Zulfiqar Ali Mahar in his briefing said people should acquire secret number of their cell phone and immediately provide it to the police in case of theft or snatching.
    Speaking on the occasion, Bahawalpur Chamber of Commerce and Industry (BCCI) president Chaudhry Abdul Jabbar announced provision of new computers, fax machines and printers to the police.
    Resue 15 Bahawalpur has been lunched a free web page about Mobile Bloking now you can find there Mobile analys status IMEI Blocking link and more about Bahawalpur Police Departments

10. Pingback: State of Telecom Industry in Pakistan » Ideas to Beat Phone Snatchers

11. Anonymous says:

qode is a patented mobile barcode reader from Neomedia Technologies.

12. Anonymous says:

Updates from PTA
    Anti-Mobile Theft System will Start Functioning on September 30

13. Anonymous says:

From the CEO of Ufone:
    Ufone President and CEO Babar Khan said it was imperative for blocking of stolen sets that the customers note down the IMEI code of their cell phones and providing the same to the authorities in case it was stolen or snatched.

He said that Ufone had already put in place a special system whereby if a reported set, whether stolen or snatched, was found operating, an SMS was sent to the customer informing him that the handset being used was stolen, for which his SIM was being blocked and she/he should contact CPLC.