China no image

Published on July 3rd, 2007 | by Babar Bhatti

CMPak – First 5 Months in Pakistan

As we cross the midyear mark, CMPak Limited remains one of the most interesting mobile companies in Pakistan (see my past story from last year). Yes, they are late in the game of foreign acquisitions in emerging markets. Yes, Paktel has below 2% market share in Pakistan. But CMPak has huge amounts of cash. Some people have even questioned: why are they here? Well, they had to start somewhere and even if they don’t make big bucks in Pakistan it provides a great learning opportunity. Besides, who does not want to play in a growth market?

paktelpower.JPGRe-branding, investments and price war seems to be a dominating theme for CMPak formerly known as Paktel. I am not sure when will they start phasing out the Paktel name and logo as many of their campaigns still show Paktel. Can someone shed more light on this?

The big news in the initial months were the announcements of capital investments deals with combined worth over $1 billion with Alcatel and Ericsson, discussed by TM here and here. Then came the first promotional Power Package– 50 paisas, which I consider a good start … Let the paisa wars begin! My only complaint is that the strings attached with such packages – and this applies to ALL mobile companies – can be too complicated for consumers to grasp – see if you can make sense of this tariff summary page from PTA. As TM points out:

the prices have come down to a point where the marketeers of the services can bring in the 50 paisa mention in their sales pitches with fine prints telling us that this is for 30 seconds, on-net and/or for a (predefined) user groups of friends and families.

Now lets talk about the overall strategy of CMPak, rebranding work and what about jobs?

To start with, China Mobile is the largest wireless carrier in the world in terms of subscribers and second largest in the world in terms of market value ($185 billion) so it can potentially benefit from its scale. It has experience of dealing with falling ARPU from China and has the capacity to compete on rock-bottom prices. However it is unclear on what are its plans for 3G. Its history as a government run monopoly till recently makes some people believe that it is not as business savvy as other global run telecom companies. According to an article in Flare:

China Mobile, a hardly-reconstructed former government department, falls into the category of a government run enterprise. The record of incumbent telecom companies abroad is an unimpressive one. Not least among the reasons for failure were the inability to adapt to the role of challenger and the unfamiliar regulatory and cultural environment.

No senior Mobile executive has experience of any market outside China. Few speak English to any extent. The strength that CM will bring to Pakistan, where 70% of the population lives in the countryside, is its rural experience. It has won business in western China by deploying low-cost networks, and selling handsets for as little as $38 with low-denomination prepaid top-up. This year CM has put itself on a learning curve, but to succeed abroad it will have to defy history as well as its own legacy culture.

With the acquisition of Paktel and injection of cash there was hope in the market that many jobs will be created. However the job situation is still uncertain. I’ve heard that technical jobs for locals have not been announced yet and Chinese engineers have been brought in. Even the website says: No jobs opening available right now!

Talking about websites, I was a bit disappointed by the quality of CMPak’s website . Anything beyond the home page is mediocre at best. I found plenty of stale content and inconsistent design which leads to poor usability. Telenor sets the bar when it comes to online experience. For Paktel, a fresh site with upated content should have been an important part of their rebranding. For now I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and hope that CMPak will soon fix their website.

Picture from Paktel site shows Mr. Guo Yonghong, CEO, CMPak and other executives at Chamber of Commerce in Karachi.

0 Responses to CMPak – First 5 Months in Pakistan

1. ASAD says:

So many people posting here for job like stupids
    HE is not CEO of CMPak

2. muhammad latif nagi says:

i m still waiting for your company and your products.

NAGI COMMUNICATION
    AADIL hotal burewala road Ghazi abad
    Chichawatni
    ph:0404013613

3. We are waiting yours CMPAK ….. Best of luck for your future..

4. Beena says:

Website desiging is very easy but its hard to mantain it, I dont know why the career add is still running in its site with expiry date of 27 nov, 2007

If they still need a workers for their company then atleast give the valid deadline for job

5. habib ullah khan says:

sir
    i am a fresh graduate of bs(electronic n telecom) and seeking job in telecom industry in pakistan.its my great pleasure serving in cmpak.i have scored 75.5% in my degree with two times top positions in 3rd n final year with extra management and communication skills . its my great pleasure serving in cmpak

6. KHIZZER MEHMOOD says:

Respected sir/madam

I am looking for job.I have done inter recently.Sir im belonging to low middle class family.My father has expired ,and i want a job in any callcenter of paktel , telenor,warid and mobilink etc.I hope you will give me oppertunity .My contact no is 051- 5473518,03315048424.thanx

7. sohaib says:

sir i am applying in paktel call center jobs and i am inter qualification and 1 year accounts experience plz contact 03328840369

8. ismail says:

sir
    i am a fresh graduate and seeking job in telecom industry in pakistan.its my great pleasure serving in cmpak.
    my contact no is

9. ismail says:

i had given the BSc papers .I am free for 5 to 6 months so i want any job at callcenter of warid or paktel or mobilink or telenor.
    or any other local company it may be any.
    my contact number is 0334-5433259

10. habib says:

sir
    i am working a company in Fauji Fertilizer company mirpurmathelo. as computer opertor Six years experince.
    i am seeking job in telecom industry in pakistan.its my great pleasure serving in cmpak.
    my No. 03046786420

11. Attique Ahmed says:

sir
    i am a fresh graduate of bs(telecom) and seeking job in telecom industry in pakistan.its my great pleasure serving in cmpak.

12. SAQIB HASSAN says:

Dear sir

this is Saqib Hassan .I am 3 Years Diploma Associate Engineer,IBM and HP certified IN imaging and printing(IPG) personal system group (PSG) and HP first Sales(sales)

i have 4 year Experience as Assistant support engineer,1Year Experience as Customer support engineer at Mushko Electronics and 2 months interni in PTCL Islamabad.

I want to Work With any Mobile Company In Pakistan

do contact me

13. Najam Bajwa says:

Dear, sir/madam

my name is najam and i m living in lahore. i want to be the part ofCMpak the largest company in the world. And i think i am quite good for call center.My mobile number is 0304-4112123. I won’t let you down trust me. Give me a chance and i will prove that.

Najam Bajwa
    pakistan(lahore)
    i will be waiting for your reply.

14. amjed khan says:

Dear Sir
    I hope the mail finds you in the best condition of health and faith.
    Sir i am forwarding my mail to you regarding to my job. My qualifition includes a degree of Business Adminstration with major in Human Resource Management. I have also compose a policy for competing Organizations that how they can get competative advantage. I have also got oppertunity to work at one of your franchises at distric Nowshera.
    If there is any post vacant post in your HR Deptt please inform me.

Amjed Khan

15. imran ahmed says:

sir,

i am doing already job in warid telecom i interested apply job my 4 year instaphone 2 ceteral board revenue & 3 years warid telecom exeperiance this time i am free i want job.

16. imran says:

sir,

17. imran says:

sir,

i am doing already job in warid telecom i interested apply job mobilink gsm my 4 year instaphone 2 ceteral board revenue & 3 years warid telecom exeperiance this time i am free i want job mobilink

18. kashif says:

Fri 7 Mar 2008

Ref Adeel mushtaq Pal
    Finance Officer,
    Reginal office Jhelum

19. Muhammad Imran Jamal says:

Dear medam, sir
    my name is m imran jamal, i have done MBA in HRM,
    i want to do some thing for our country friend china
    it is my great wish from my childhood but due to financial
    problem i am not able to do it, but now GOD has given me
    opperunity to serve china, i have a 4 year experinces in
    different companies,now i am working in multinational company
    form 1 year 4 month, plz give me opperunity to work for china
    my cell number is 0304- 9515494 /0321 5601609
    thanks you.

20. MALIK GULFARAZ says:

Respected Sir/Madam
    I am Looking for a job.. i am Married and very poor , i have done only Matric, I worked in a Company on contract bases as Data entry Operator, and also worked in Multi national company as Office Boy.
    Please do some favour for me

03328997175…

21. Adeel Asghar says:

Respected Sir/Madam
    Please do some favour for me…
    Adeel Asghar

22. rizwan ahmed says:

respected sir,madam.
    i m looking a technician job at china mobail paktel.
    i m also working for mobilink as a technician at mardan mgw msc
    if you have a jobs this type please contect me.

rizwan ahmed
    cell no- 923339039769

23. Tahir Riaz says:

In my view this is the best company and i want to work in this type of company.