style=”display:inline-block;width:728px;height:90px”

Published on May 13th, 2008 | by Babar Bhatti

Do Not Call Registry Proposed For Pakistan

style=”display:block”
data-ad-client=”ca-pub-2983676629643435″
data-ad-slot=”8774799491″
data-ad-format=”auto”>

Good development. PTA has proposed a few actions for dealing with spam. This includes spams SMS, emails and unwanted calls. See the proposal here or get it from PTA website. I doubt that a fine of 300 Rs will discourage professional spammers. Legitimate companies should start working on their opt-in lists.

It is proposed that a do not call register (DNC) may be maintained by telecom operators. The DNC Register will be a database having the list of all telephone numbers of the subscribers who do not want to receive unsolicited calls. After the establishment of DNC register a subscriber who does not wish to receive Unsolicited calls, can register their telephone number with their telecom service provider to be included in the DNC.

Operator shall upload the number to the DNC within 45 days of receipt. The Telemarketer will have to verify their calling mobile numbers list with the DNC register before making a call. An amount of Rs 300/- per call/message should be prescribed to discourage telemarketers who make calls to numbers registered in Do Not Call list. The defaulter telemarketer will face legal action.The impact of imposing a higher charge for calls and messages which have a commercial purpose attached to them will to some extent ensure that only legitimate calls are made i.e calls to recipients who do not have any problem with attending commercial calls.

Awareness is the key to fighting the spam problem. There are a number of channels listed by PTA but surprisingly blogs and other new media is not mentioned.

The Authority puts forward a media campaign check list which shall be followed by the Authority in collaboration with operators to create spam awareness:
  a) Public awareness activities to target users first and foremost, but also large corporations, small and medium-sized enterprises, direct marketers and online operators.
  b) General awareness activities to be posted on the Web or other media such as television, newspapers and magazines. Brochures may be distributed in schools, made available on all operators’ websites, and also distributed as a leaflet in IT magazines. Educational cartoons about spam, unsolicited and obnoxious calls controlling and reporting and online security broadcast.

0 Responses to Do Not Call Registry Proposed For Pakistan

1. Blackberry says:

Its a good step of PTA,in previous years PTA do not maintain her record thats why people use mobile miss use.
    So now PTA has to take fast step on this issue because all problen is creating by PTA.In past they take only concentration on quantity,not quality.

2. Babar Bhatti says:

Touseef – have not heard about a DNSMS list but have seen some PTA investigations about antispam solutions. A hard problem to solve. Seems like Mobilink has a filter for spam SMS, not sure if its effective or not.

3. Babar Bhatti says:

Sohaib – no, I have not seen/heard anything on the DNC list. I assume it will be in the news if its implemented.

Anyway, even when DNC exist, many telemarketers do not follow the DNC guidelines. Case in point, the US. I get calls for dish network tv service (in Urdu). Local charities also call quite often. And then there are loopholes for credit card companies where they call you about certain transaction and try to upsell.

4. is there any DNSMS (Do Not SMS) list as well. I have made quite a lengthy post about this issue here on my blog. If you guys want to have a look at it.

5. Sohaib Athar says:

Ah Babar, Noon is my normal sleeping time – A Zong telemarketing girl just woke me up (again) and Google brought me here (should have known). Any idea if this DNC list was actually implemented/is being implemented?

6. Babar Bhatti says:

No one has a good solution for spam. Half-baked solutions will not do any good.

By the way even on this blog (which has no commercial activity) I get a lot of spam. Thanks to Akismet, most of that is caught. But it is still annoying manual work for me to delete the rest of spam every few days.

7. waqas says:

Personally I would have preferred an opt-in list rather than an opt-out list.

I’m curious about why the operators don’t use spam filtering themselves. It seems like a simple idea to me to block numbers sending massive amounts of messages automatically. I don’t think the spam messages are generating much revenue for the networks, only (ab)using their network.

8. aamir attaa says:

I wonder why PTA is wasting huge money on such projects. I guess PTA chief has habit of accepting every proposal that comes his way. We have seen failure of IMEI and then MNP.

Do Not Call registry is defiantly a good element, and it is successfully implemented in various countries such as United States and India. However, such practice is not going to entertain Pakistani consumer, and this is because of core problem; illegal SIMs. Who is going to panelize me, even who will track me when I will use un-registered SIM for my marketing campaign?

So PTA should work day and night to eliminate illegal or un-registered SIMs, the mother of all problems

9. Nash says:

Hi Babar,

I’ve read the document, i reckon its quite good and an adequate research is done during drafting the document.

In the preface of the document it is written that stakeholders may submit their comments to the given email address – i wonder if individuals and vendors can submit their comments.

Regards,