Published on June 12th, 2008 | by Babar Bhatti4
Path To Alamgeeriat: Urdu Evaluation For Internationalized Domain Names:
An important aspect of true internationalization of the Internet involves support of major languages such as Urdu. Dr Sarmad Hussain of National University has recently achieved a big success with the inclusion of Urdu on the Internationalized Domain Names evaluation site. A big kudos to Dr. Sarmad and his team for getting to this milestone.
Urdu is on a tier 2 list of languages that are being evaluated. Dr. Sarmad has asked people to visit the Urdu Wiki pagesfor Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) and give feedback on the points requested.
I was able to browse to the original link which has the Urdu alphabet in IE and Firefox. However I could not use it directly in this post because I need to set wordpress up to support Urdu. Follow this link to go the wiki page.
Read on to see the list of few thing that you can do to test the behavior based on your own working environment.
- Do the clickable links work properly in your browser?
- Are the IDNs displayed as you expect them to be in its address and status lines?
- What happens if you copy and paste, or type the name into the address line?
- Try the corresponding tests with your e-mail program on the separate test page.
- If you type or copy an IDN URL into another application that you use, how does it accommodate IDNs? (E.g., if your word processor turns URLs into clickable links, do they work as intended, and are they correctly maintained if passed onward to other applications?)
- Have you tested alternatives (such as other browsers) to the software that you are accustomed to?