Published on August 20th, 2009 | by Arsalan Mir11
SWOT Analysis – Pakistan Telecom Industry
SWOT analysis stands for analyzing the Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats of a certain industry or company. In this post we do the SWOT analysis of the Telecom Industry of Pakistan. In upcoming posts we will go in detail of individual companies and discuss the problems and how to make use of the opportunities.
- Exponential growth.
- Skilled Human Resource at low-cost.
- Access to Infrastructure – optical network and satellite links.
- Favorable policies (to some extent) and regulator.
- Strong international brand names.
- Quality of Service.
- Low revenue per user (ARPU).
- Customer retention.
- No clear strategic direction.
- Poor organizational structure.
- No research and development programs.
- Employee skill inconsistency.
- Very low employee morale.
- Huge market size.
- Local handset manufacturing.
- Making technology accessible to all (e.g. broadband).
- Adopt latest technologies.
- Removal of international trade barriers.
- Adopting MVNO.
- Recession in economy.
- Inconsistent and adhoc decisions from regulatory authorities.
- Political Instability, Security issues.
- Adverse shifts in trade policies of government.
References: State Of Telecom Industry in Pakistan and previous coverage of telecom industry on TelecomPk.Net.