Competitive Trends no image

Published on October 14th, 2009 | by Arsalan Mir

EP is Easypaisa

Now everyone has guessed about it. Yes EP is easypaisa, a unique branchless banking solution from Telenor and Tameer Bank commercially launches tomorrow. The innovative product umbrella of easypaisa promises to give complete convenience and empowerment that one has always wanted in life.

easypaisaThrough this brand now not only Telenor customers but every one in Pakistan, no matter if you are a mobile user or not or even if you use services from other operator, you can avail the easypaisa service by visiting the nearest easypaisa authorized shop, Telenor Franchise, Telenor Sales & Service Center or Tameer Bank branch.

This gives an equal chance to everyone to enjoy secure branchless banking with instant transactions.

The easypaisa bill payment service lets you to pay your Electricity, Gas and Telephone (PTCL) bills wherever you are, anytime during the day and above all, with peace of mind.

Easy process:

1. Get your utility bill and the required amount of cash to any of the easypaisa outlets.
  2. Ask the retailer/shop keeper to pay your utility bill through easypaisa bill payment service.
  3. If you use any mobile service, give the retailer your mobile number to receive a confirmation SMS.
  4. On completion of the payment, collect the stamped bill, which carries the transaction ID and Agent ID.
  5. If you have mobile phone, don’t forget to check that you have received a confirmation message.
  6. If you do not have a mobile phone, check the confirmation message on the mobile phone of easypaisa agent.

Easy Charges:

Following are the service charges for easypaisa bill payment service.

Bill Amount Fee (PKR)
PKR 0-1000 10
PKR 1001-4000 15
PKR 4000+ 25

Not much after all!

Easy Utilities:

Utility Bills of following utility companies can be paid initially:

1. PTCL (Pakistan Telecommunication Company Limited)
  2. SSGC (Sui Southern Gas Company)
  3. SNGPL (Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Ltd)
  4. KESC (Karachi Electric Supply Company)
  5. IESCO (Islamabad Electric Supply Company)
  6. GEPCO (Gujranwala Electric Power Company)
  7. LESCO (Lahore Electric Supply Company)
  8. HESCO (Hyderabad Electric Supply Company)

They plan to get in other companies also soon.

You can find about your nearest easypaisa outlet here and other informational services here.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

is a Telecom enthusiast with engineering background based in Lahore. On professional front, he is the Director Operations at the Target Group. He can be reached at arsalan (at) telecompk (dot) net

15 Responses to EP is Easypaisa

1. Ali Hussain says:

How can I send money through Easypaisa from Germany

2. Pingback: EP is Easypaisa | State of Telecom Industry in Pakistan | ErgoTel

3. Arsalan Mir says:

Trekker,

Already covered this at:

Also awaiting response from telenor authorities.

4. Trekker says:

A LESCO bill wrongly stamped by EasyPaisa shopkeeper

By: Rizwan Haider

Today, in the morning I was shocked to know through a local newspaper that LESCO has refused to acknowledge the payments of the LESCO customers that they have made to Telenor EasyPaisa Outlets.Really upset, I called the LESCO (Lahore Electricity Supply Company) to know the truth and their representative from the Revenue department confirmed the status and said,” we are not getting any sort of payments from Telenor or Tameer Bank as there is no agreement between LESCO and Telenor/Tameer Bank so far”.He further told that “If you have paid your amount already then you better get it back from the outlet you paid and pay it to the recognized bank the way you have been doing for years or otherwise you will have to pay the arrears next time you get the bill”.I called the Tameer Bank to know how the bank is going to clear this issue or if they will be able to pay my amount back, a Lahore based senior officer of the bank confirmed me that there is no agreement between LESCO and Tameer bank so far and Tameer bank is currently using KASB Bank to pay the amounts to LESCO. To my question that why Telenor and Tameer bank came forward to collect the money from the people of Pakistan without establishing a system and network, he was speechless first and then tried to clear the situation he said, “Tameer bank is going to have an agreement with LESCO in the coming week and if you get your next month’s bill with arrears, don’t worry and it will be ok, your money is safe”.I am not satisfied because I never checked the stamp at first on my bill that the shopkeeper had put on my bill as I had a trust on the company but today I checked the stamp it was ridiculous, the stamp was telling that I had paid a bill of December 2009 whereas I paid the bill of October 2009.I asked this to the guy representing Tameer Bank and he told, “You must go back and get the stamp changed”. Well, it is pinching, that if Tameer Bank tries to clear my amount in the next month or they are able enter into an agreement with the LESCO; even then my bill will not be paid because a wrong stamp by shopkeeper had completely changed my transaction from the very instance I paid him. I again say, the service is no doubt a good activity by why Telenor found it necessary to deceive people of Pakistan when they did not have the proper arrangements. Telenor people say that whenever a service is launched there are always glitches, but I say, why it always happens. The company was conducting test exercise for the last one month that means it was collecting money from their employees and the entire network of shopkeepers without any legal standing?

Lahore is a population of over 10 Million and if 5% of the population trusted Telenor and paid their electricity bills in the month of October, we can expect a huge amount of money that the company/bank collected on LESCOs’ behalf. Why Telenor and Tameer Bank spent Millions of Ruppees on marketing and advertisement at a very immature stage when they knew it from the very first day that it is not going to work. I ask them, isn’t it a foul play or if I used a little technical language, it may be called a fraud or financial scam. It is always the right of customer to know before what he pays and what for? State Bank, PTA and all the concerned authorities must take these kinds of things very seriously because it may please few people to see that how speedily Pakistan is forwarding towards Mobile Banking but there has to be a proper frame work and guidelines before any activity.

5. Term Paper says:

I think it has a huge potential, especially in rural areas. Lets see.

6. Arsalan Mir says:

I second Hafiz Junaid. At the launch, I got a chance to talk to the Telenor team on this. They assured of their plans to go beyond just bill payments.

We must appreciate such a step and look forward on how the branchless banking paradigm unveils and how it will cater the unbanked population.

7. Abdul Khaliq says:

I think it will in only one case when some one want to save himself from extra surcharge on next month and the bank time is over, still one can utilize this option of epaisa to pay on limited amount of 20, 30 rupees to save extra money like Rs 500 to paid on next month

Also if someone is too busy in office and cant get time at day time

8. Hafiz Junaid says:

its a big thing happened!

i have gone through all of the FINANCIAL SERVICES offered by telenor. its not end on utility bill patments, rather it gives you secure mone transfer, you can send your money at anywhere in pakistan
    you just need to bring your CNIC and you must provide receiver’s CNIC. And guys you know one more fascinating product in this financial service is MOBILE WALLET, after having service you dont need to go anywhere for utility bill payment. you can submitt your payments sitting at home. So be positive and keep positive.

9. Muntazir says:

This service will be big flop. It just an ambitious goal of few people in Telenor. They bought the bank and then started thinking what to do with it. and trust me this service wont be able to sustain volume traffic at all (ie if they get any). Plus as per my info it is already down with in 24 hour of its launch.

10. Ali says:

This service is an epic fail.

Why would i want to pay extra when i can use any one the banks to pay my bills for NO EXtra Charge.

Nadra Kiosks and Nadra e-sahulat do the EXACT same thing for NO extra charge.

If i have to go out to pay my bill, i’d rather not pay extra.

11. Haroon says:

Mobilink Genie is pretty much the same.

12. Meesam Jafri says:

Seconding Arsalan Mir,
    Whats more in it, though its great, but there has to be something more with it.

13. Arsalan Mir says:

Hamza you got it wrong here. Only the cellphones of easypaisa outlets will be used to pay bills. You still have to carry cash. And then you know what happens with it ;).

The most important thing is what other banking needs do this easy paisa offer apart from utility bills.

14. Hamza Zafar says:

Hmm… that sounds safer than using cards, since bad guys wouldn’t know that my Nokia 1100 could also be used to transfer Rs. 50,000 to any account :)