Published on December 30th, 2009 | by Babar Bhatti0
2009 Recap for Telecom in Pakistan
This is a quick recap of the year for Telecom industry in Pakistan. Here are some of the positive developments of 2009.
- Broadband shows signs of improvement with more subscribers, competition and lower rates.
- Easypaisa paves the way for mobile financial services.
- Online SIM checking service 667 and 668 for overseas Pakistanis
- Better online maps and navigation become available for Pakistan.
- Social media use among mainstream Pakistanis keeps growing.
- Telecom companies actively use Facebook & start tweeting.
- Plenty of ICT events and opportunities for networking.
- PTA pushes to get SIM issue resolved.
- Mobi2weet introduced.
- Zong catches up and launches Blackberry.
And a few which are not so good.
- SIM verification issues faced by public.
- High taxes continue.
- SMS packages suspended during traffic peak days of Eid by some companies.
- Layoffs by many telecom companies.
- LDI rates for calls to Pakistan remain high.
- PTCL vs ISPs – the issues continue.
- Tough economy & security problems create challenges for business.
- Country’s subscriber count gets messed up.
- More spam via text messaging.
- Power crisis continues.
I’m sure there are more interesting items that can be added to this list. Leave comments to add your voice.