Broadband Internet no image

Published on January 13th, 2010 | by Arsalan Mir

Wireless Broadband Coverage Issues

Recently my father wanted internet connectivity at his work site in the vicinity of Port-Qasim (Karachi), I suggested him to go for wireless broadband. So, my father asked me to get the best wireless broadband connection. This was not an easy task and above all my finding surprised me even more.

I decided to check out wi-tribe connection but calling their customer support I got to know that they offer no coverage in Port-Qasim, the second most busy sea-port of Pakistan. Well I couldn’t connect to change and had to change my mind to try out qubee, although they have a pretty well drawn coverage map on their website which others lack but again did not have coverage in the area.

Checking out PTCL evo and Mobilink Infinity I found the same, they also fail to have coverage in Port-Qasim. My last resort was Wateen, the first wireless broadband provider of the country. Calling at Wateen, I get to know that the call center agent does not even know if they have coverage in my desired vicinity, they only know that the coverage is available through out Karachi and to check for a particular area I will have to check myself by visiting any franchise. With this I got into argument over what are helplines for that lasted for 5 mins and the agent ended up sending me the address of the nearest franchise via SMS, which I never visited after all this frustration.

The whole point I want to make here is that the coverage area of wireless broadband services still needs a lot a improvement and to assist consumers better, coverage maps like the one qubee has must be available on all operators website and the helpline agent must also be educated completely about the service.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

is a Telecom enthusiast with engineering background based in Lahore. On professional front, he is the Director Operations at the Target Group. He can be reached at arsalan (at) telecompk (dot) net

12 Responses to Wireless Broadband Coverage Issues

1. tatheer says:

i am in of wateen in jhang…is there coverageeeeeeeeeeee in jhang???????

2. Arsalan Mir says:

Aydee, thanks for sharing the information, but this link and not mentioned on the official Wateen website.

3. Aydee says:

Dear Mir,

Wateen Coverage area you can checked by

4. well wi tribe is newly launched it will take little bit time, well cdma brodband yuk

5. Ammar Faheem says:

You missed out on a very important bit of detail – I was with you while you were making those calls! LoL!

On a serious note, indeed if business hubs such as Port Qasim are not covered, what exactly are wireless providers thinking?

• Arsalan Mir says:

errr…I don’t remember that. If its worth sharing, share!

Thats exactly the point. The regulatory authority must look in the issue and conduct coverage and quality for wireless broadband services akin to what they do for cellular services.

6. fahaam says:

well all helpline agents are idiots they even dont know simple things
    and about wirless so its just a begin so we trust so much on it

7. Naqvi says:

wi-tribe uses their services as well but its for internal use only…

8. Pingback: Wireless Broadband Coverage Issues | State of Telecom Industry in … | Drakz Free Online Service

9. Pingback: Wireless Broadband Coverage Issues | Tea Break

10. Babar Bhatti says:

Good points. Your experience is not different from others – see the discussions at TGP and other blogs.

Telcos need to provide better info (online or otherwise) to manage the expectations. At least their customer service agents need to know about the coverage.

11. Pingback: Wireless Broadband Coverage Issues | PressPK