3G no image

Published on August 17th, 2010 | by Arsalan Mir and Babar Bhatti

Consumer Beware: PTCL EVO Rev B Speeds are NOT What PTCL is Advertising

On the eve of independence, PTCL introduced the EVO NITRO Rev B in Pakistan with fanfare and big claims. We want to alert consumers about the misleading ad shown below.

This banner from the web page touts broadband speed up to 9.3 Mbps. Based on our own experience of the PTCL EVO speed, we are skeptical.

Web Blooper: What we see below the banner on the web page looks more like a Marketing Bulletin used in organizations to promote the products launched or yet to be launched among it employees. It seems that the web admin at PTCL has done a good copy/paste job here.

If you read what they have put on the web page carefully you will find that the instruction sent to employees or made for the marketing team is been posted verbatim on the web page for consumers!!!

• PTCL is the first operator in the world to commercially launch EV-DO Rev.B products.
  • Pakistan’s fastest & most cutting edge Enhanced Wireless Mobile Broadband solution.
  • Highlight the product USP i.e. Download Speed of up to 9.3 Mbps & uplink of up to 5.4 Mbps.
  • Nationwide Roaming facility, providing Rev B speeds in Islamabad, Rawalpindi, Lahore & Karachi with Backward compatibility & seamless roaming on Rev A Network (up to 3.1Mbps) in 99 cities across the country.
  • Blazing fast speeds of Rev B would create excitement in the potential target market which would entice product demand & sales.

The copy mastery is confirmed with the hyperlink they intends to link to  list of designated banks on the PTCL website has redirect from PTCL web-mail.  Take a look at this image captured. (click to see it enlarged)

Here is the list of features posted by PTCL (for the consumers)

• Cruise with Matchless Speed of up to 9.3 Mbps.*
  • Enhanced user experience
  • Faster web browsing
  • High Quality Video Streaming
  • Unlimited Downloads
  • Faster uploads
  • Plug & Play—Instant Connectivity
  • USB compatible with laptops & Desktops
  • Average data rates vary between 1.25 Mbps- 3.75 Mbps
  • Backward compatibility & seamless roaming on Rev A Network (up to 3.1Mbps) in 99 cities across the country
  • Device Upgrades available for existing Evo customers.

Caution on Speed

The only thing to be appreciated above is the mention of  Average data rates. In reality, these download rates depend on factors such as modem capability, location, distance from communication tower and number of simultaneous users. To sum it up: don’t have high expectations from this.

Those who are daring enough to try this service please share your experience with us.

Tags: , , , ,

35 Responses to Consumer Beware: PTCL EVO Rev B Speeds are NOT What PTCL is Advertising

1. osama says:

i havent seen any one using evo patcl and he is getting the speed which he was told.
    and spacially there servese is soo poor tipical pakistani response.i have complain about the signaling problem in my aera (fuji fertilizer bin qasim) many times but they dont even gave a shitt.

2. zubiir says:

Indeed, PTCL is doing poor work. Their claim for double speed on broadband also failed as after only few days of service on 4mb from 2mb, there evdo is tottally failed
    Poor Services PTCL!

3. Amir says:

Don’t buy it. PTCL EVO sux. And I also encourage all of you to lodge complaint against PTCL in PTA. I am now going to do it as they scammed me.

4. Hassaan Sayyed says:

I am also using this PTCL evo 9.1 3GS but I am going to throw this out of my window cause it just piss off man. it only gives .45 MBPS around the city I never experienced more than this speed. PTCL is just bleedy bastered they are cheating us. We all need to kick their ass.

5. shahid says:

I would like to say the Nitro claims for higher speed is all false and misleading.I got the nitro its response is not satisfactory rather poor and you are paying more 3000/- per month.
    My advice to others,dont buy evo nitro its not worth the price.

6. Shahzad says:

I have been a user of EVO since last 1 year… and it used to be great. But it has been a bloody Rickshaw since last 2 months. I have lodged several complains and all I get is an sms that it has been resolved… without any service improvements.

GETTING REALLY SICK OF THEM!!!

7. Sami says:

PTCL EVO is extremely expensive connection…I bought Evo lite few months back…The device costs Rs. 4000/- and It gives only 50 hours in Rs. 1200/- and download speed was not good at all…What is an internet service for if you need to keep counting hours with low bandwidth???? Moreover the description of package wasn’t clear enough on the website. Had I know that I will have to pay 1200 rupees for only 50 hours slow connection, I wouldn’t have bought it….It was real depressing experience.

8. Raheel Safdar says:

Very Vary Very Bad Service.Allah ghark krey in ko(Ptcl walon ko) Ameen

9. aamir choudhary says:

man , this evo thing is a waste of money , i purchased it 7 months ago, it was’t activated for 2 weeks at the start , i used it for 5 months then the device have some problem the signal doped from 5 to 2 , i get a replacement for running between ztel office and ptcl exchange , last month i get my new device , but these days i have come to know a new “invention” from ptcl that they reduce your speed to only “””30kbps””” after download of 10gb??????.!@@#@#!@# .. yar, if u have to do this to this @#@# evo then please reduce the
    package price from 1999 to 499 , where it should be , :( , i had used wateen unlimited for 1600 1 mb , but the speed is more then this evo , there are many things including your luck must be there with you then u will get “good” speed , like good signal (which are only available on the water tank on you roof ), distance from ptcl exchange, yea right . Allah in ptcl waloon ko haya aur aqal atta farmay ameen ,

10. vicky says:

PTCL evo really suck….a totalllll waste of money

11. zee says:

i m using nitro 3g on my dell core i3 since November 2010 in saddar Rawalpindi. Its performance and speed (download speed 150-266 kbps) is poor as it could not able to run any vedio stream continously. PTCL to review its speed configration otherwise reduce the bill package from 2999 to 1999 accordingly.New buyer are discourages to buy it.

12. zahid says:

browsing speed is so down and download speed is nothing

13. zahid says:

very very bad service

14. omer says:

I am using it (nitro) on a mac. At times the connection has gone as high as 6mbps but then the connection drops.

15. Ajaz Haider says:

I have Evo broadband USB with the ‘unlimited’ package. My speeds have dropped from 120 kbps on average to 30 kbps. The call center informed me that I have downloaded 10 GB so my speed has been cut to 30 kbps for ever. Then what is the point of paying Rs 2000 every month for only browsing. They should not advertise unlimited.

16. Imran says:

PTCL is a cheater. They don’t care for their customers. This is totally unjustified restricting bandwith upto 15gb max. If they don’t revert back this stupid decision soon, I will not make any payments then.

17. Asim says:

This quite unfair that PTCL has changed its policy relating EVO overnight without even informing it’s customers or advertising it.

I purchased the device as it offered good speed and unlimited downloads and it remained this way till last week. When I complained about the download speed issues I was informed that after 10gb usage the speed drops down to just 30kbps. This is clearly cheating and unfair! This policy statement has never been advertised nor it is on the PTCL website.

PTCL neeeds to remove this restriction as this is clear deception and cheating.

18. bilal says:

i am using ptcl EVO 3.1 Mbps
    have a look at it’s rocking speed and getting even more…
    just learn to use it properly…
    place it according to the direction of signals and you will enjoy..
    i can stream HD also…

19. khan says:

Ptcl evo is a useless internet device. The average download speed is not more than 250kbps. I have never had a connection even of 1mbps speed for the last three months in the heart of Karachi. Forget about registering any complaint and getting a response. As is usual they (ptcl) keeps on fleecing their customers. Not recommended at all. Search for other internet providers.

20. ankesh says:

no service provider provide exact download speed.even at & t or strint .average download speed is 30% then the network speed.you take wireless or wireline doesn@t matter.

21. Muhammad Saleem says:

After one month auto degeneration of landline DSL from 6 Mbps to 2Mbps and their continuous inaction (thanks to the strike by PTCL employees), had to bought EVO Nitro in desperation just two days ago, to find out its maximum Speed is 65 kbps in Rawalpindi city and cantt area!!! Lodged another complaint to meet the similar fate. Still waiting for a resolution of the complaints. Over the past few years, services of PTCL have been degenerated par below a hawker. They don’t even have a proper mechanism to let you file a complaint – 1218 may keep you on hold for eternity, if you select an auto option and the type of complaint is not in the menu you will have to lodge a new complaint! If you are able to file a complaint they don’t have a mechanism to address the unresolved complaints. After passage of a certain amount of time priority of complaint automatically sets itself to resolved to let the subscriber go through the ordeal of lodging a newer complaint and increment complaint counter to prove productivity of support staff. PTA should take a serious note of quality of services being provided by PTCL to its subscribers.

22. rahil says:

if some want to but evo 3.1 contact me i wana sale my evo 3.1 device becoz i bought the nitro device (evo 9.3)
    EVO is rock

23. Rishil says:

A real eye opener… thanks for sharing..

24. Pingback: Telecomistan.com - PTCL Introduces EVO ‘nitro’ based on EV-DO Rev. B

25. Usman Khan says:

Nitro is rocking!!!!

I am getting super fast speeds … the best I have gotten so far is 8MBPS in Islamabad. 9.3 MBPS to nahi milta laykin SUPERFAST speeds zaroor.

check out my speedtest on youtube:

In this test I got 6.7 MBPS

26. Zohaib says:

Definitely, PTCL is doing poor work. Their claim for double speed on broadband also failed as after only few days of service on 4mb from 2mb, all the connections are back to 2mb again.

Poor Services PTCL!

Oh, and not to forget WORST WORST WORST Customer Support.

27. Pingback: Consumer Beware: PTCL EVO Rev B Speeds are NOT What PTCL is Advertising - BlogOn.pk

28. Sohail says:

I have been a regular follower of this website and I believe the heading of this article is extremely misleading.

You can not make a claim while saying that you are only ‘skeptical’ based on your use of the standard EVDO service. This sort of journalism was not expected from TelecomPK.net. There is no credible proof either that the marketing lines are a copy/paste by any means.

• Arsalan Mir says:

Sohail, we respect your opinion, but the advertisement still say that the speed is up to 9.3 Mbps while down the page they say that the average rate varies 1.25Mbps to 3.25Mbps and also if it was not that the marketing bulletin was used here the web page would not have been updated.

• Imran says:

Are you out of your mind Mr Sohail, claiming 9.3MB and giving 500KB. Is this not a fraud? And you are questioning journalism. Don’t bullshit, if this would have happened in a country with consumer rights then PTCL operatives would have been facing music behind bars.

29. Pingback: Consumer Beware: PTCL EVO Rev B Speeds are NOT What PTCL is Advertising | Tea Break

30. Pingback: Tweets that mention Consumer Beware: PTCL Rev B Speeds are NOT What PTCL is Advertising : TelecomPK -- Topsy.com