Published on August 17th, 2010 | by Arsalan Mir and Babar Bhatti35
Consumer Beware: PTCL EVO Rev B Speeds are NOT What PTCL is Advertising
On the eve of independence, PTCL introduced the EVO NITRO Rev B in Pakistan with fanfare and big claims. We want to alert consumers about the misleading ad shown below.
This banner from the web page touts broadband speed up to 9.3 Mbps. Based on our own experience of the PTCL EVO speed, we are skeptical.
Web Blooper: What we see below the banner on the web page looks more like a Marketing Bulletin used in organizations to promote the products launched or yet to be launched among it employees. It seems that the web admin at PTCL has done a good copy/paste job here.
If you read what they have put on the web page carefully you will find that the instruction sent to employees or made for the marketing team is been posted verbatim on the web page for consumers!!!
- PTCL is the first operator in the world to commercially launch EV-DO Rev.B products.
- Pakistan’s fastest & most cutting edge Enhanced Wireless Mobile Broadband solution.
- Highlight the product USP i.e. Download Speed of up to 9.3 Mbps & uplink of up to 5.4 Mbps.
- Nationwide Roaming facility, providing Rev B speeds in Islamabad, Rawalpindi, Lahore & Karachi with Backward compatibility & seamless roaming on Rev A Network (up to 3.1Mbps) in 99 cities across the country.
- Blazing fast speeds of Rev B would create excitement in the potential target market which would entice product demand & sales.
The copy mastery is confirmed with the hyperlink they intends to link to list of designated banks on the PTCL website has redirect from PTCL web-mail. Take a look at this image captured. (click to see it enlarged)
Here is the list of features posted by PTCL (for the consumers)
- Cruise with Matchless Speed of up to 9.3 Mbps.*
- Enhanced user experience
- Faster web browsing
- High Quality Video Streaming
- Unlimited Downloads
- Faster uploads
- Plug & Play—Instant Connectivity
- USB compatible with laptops & Desktops
- Average data rates vary between 1.25 Mbps- 3.75 Mbps
- Backward compatibility & seamless roaming on Rev A Network (up to 3.1Mbps) in 99 cities across the country
- Device Upgrades available for existing Evo customers.
Caution on Speed
The only thing to be appreciated above is the mention of Average data rates. In reality, these download rates depend on factors such as modem capability, location, distance from communication tower and number of simultaneous users. To sum it up: don’t have high expectations from this.
Those who are daring enough to try this service please share your experience with us.