style=”display:inline-block;width:728px;height:90px”

Published on April 8th, 2011 | by Arsalan Mir

VDSL2 Bonding Technology – PTCL to offer speeds upto 50 Mbps

style=”display:block”
data-ad-client=”ca-pub-2983676629643435″
data-ad-slot=”8774799491″
data-ad-format=”auto”>

In our recent post we discussed about PTCL’s falling profits, worsening customer service and recent achievements. Regardless of the performance of current DSL service and grievances of  subscribers, PTCL in an industry first move shall soon launch VDSL2. This, based on bonding technology will provide existing DSL customers with speeds up to 50 Mbps. Details in the press release below. With it we sincerely hope that the management also considers to speed up the customer service and work to make it more effective.

An industry first, Pakistan’s PTCL will be using VDSL2 Bonding technology to provide existing digital subscriber line (DSL) customers with speeds up to 50 Mbps. The project leverages Alcatel-Lucent’s (Euro next Paris and NYSE: ALU) VDSL2 Bonding expertise and should be completed by the end of the second quarter of 2011.

VDSL2 Bonding takes two copper-based VDSL2 lines per subscriber and aggregates them – almost doubling the bandwidths available to existing customers, or expanding high-speed broadband access to areas that are underserved today. Using VDSL2 Bonding, service providers can extend the life of their existing copper infrastructure – supporting the delivery of bandwidth-intensive services such as triple-play voice, data and IPTV.

According to a recent study  from market research firm IHS iSuppli, simultaneous access to applications such as peer-to-peer file sharing, online gaming, streaming audio, VoIP and IPTV will soon require bandwidths between 50 and 100Mbps. This fits exactly with VDSL2’s capabilities, especially when combined with innovations such as Bonding and Vectoring.

Commenting on this achievement President and CEO PTCL Walid Irshaid has stated “PTCL is the first service provider worldwide to deploy a commercial VDSL2 Bonding solution that aims at doubling the bandwidths provided to its existing customers. We are thus setting the trend in international telecoms, and are taking the broadband experience in Pakistan to the next level. Alcatel-Lucent’s VDSL2 Bonding technology and comprehensive services and network integration expertise is helping us to keep pace with the increasing bandwidth requirements of our customers, while capitalizing on the existing copper infrastructure. This will enable us to quickly deliver high-quality, high-speed and high-availability business and residential services – even in areas where it was not possible before.”

Alcatel-Lucent is providing PTCL with its Intelligent Services Access Manager (ISAM) IP access platform – which is the first platform to commercially support VDSL2 Bonding. Alcatel-Lucent will also supply Bonding-ready customer premises equipment (CPE). Alcatel-Lucent serves as the project’s master network integrator, and is providing a range of professional services – including project management, installation and commissioning, integration and technical support.

“We understand that service providers need the right tools to bridge the gap until fiber deployments have become ubiquitous. VDSL2 Bonding is an ideal approach: service providers like PTCL can almost double the speeds supported by their DSL infrastructure or expand their network’s reach. This makes it a fast and cost-effective approach to bridging the digital divide,” said Aadil Rauf CEO Alcatel-Lucent Pakistan Ltd. “This commercial VDSL2 Bonding project with PTCL marks the beginning of VDSL2 Bonding deployments outside of the US – where the technology is typically used to expand the reach of the copper network.”

Alcatel-Lucent is the driving force behind the world’s most advanced VDSL2 roll-outs, with customers such as Belgacom, STC, Swisscom and Telekom Austria. Our VDSL2 solution has also been deployed by competitive operators, including M-net (Germany) and South Yorkshire Digital Region (UK).

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

is a Telecom enthusiast with engineering background based in Lahore. On professional front, he is the Director Operations at the Target Group. He can be reached at arsalan (at) telecompk (dot) net

12 Responses to VDSL2 Bonding Technology – PTCL to offer speeds upto 50 Mbps

1. Pingback: Get a 50 Mbps Broadband Connection on PTCL today | Basit Ali's Blog

2. Haseeb Ahmed says:

Ptcl has a bad service !! And i would always prefer cable broadband connect. over DSL … It just has too many data losses & etc

3. kamran says:

I want HDTV…. will I get that On VDSL2 Bonding….

4. Sheri says:

Here in lahore, I use a connection from PTCL that is 4Mbps and was good for me till I got an experience on GPON in islamabad. the connection was 30Mbps and it was some thing… since then I feel my 4Mbps connection is useless… :-(
    VDSL2 bonding does promise 50Mbps but lets hope that soon I get this offer in my area….

The next question, do I need 30Mbps or 50Mbps… for a person who only use his broadband connection for chatting and you know what ;-)1Mbps is OK.
    But I and many ppl like me, use internet for serious reasons. I need to download a lot of material (videos) for editing and upload them back to my clients in France and with multimedia contents this is my requirement…
    So I wanted to know when they are comming to DHA lahore…

5. urooj says:

50 mbps!! thats great offer..n em anxiously waiting to utilize this opportunity so that i can explore the world with much ease of time.

6. Atif says:

Their current DSL service is very unreliable and I wonder what 50 Mbps will be like they cann’t even fix 1 MBps what will happen with 50Mbps :P more crappy and unreliable service I guess. All we can do is hope and pray that we get a better and reliable internet service in Pakistan at a good price.

7. Shen says:

50mb heheheh give me a break ,
    they should look towards their service and customer care first, concerning about new services and offers is so foolish.
    if the service is so poor that your ping is dropping min after min then what is the use of 50 mb net??
    i just hate ptcl customer care and help services because they are just a big gimmick !! not more than that..

8. atif says:

Can’t wait to use this… subscribed to ptcl 256 kb dsl in 2007 and has now 4mbps on the same rate. I love this double offer from ptcl.

9. solo_underdawg says:

there is no need of 50 mbps…all they gotta do is make their services better. even if i get 1mbps without blackouts i would be happy. speeds upto 3-4 mbps are good enough i.e. the internet should keep running. 50mbps with outage does not count.

10. Usman says:

I am getting sick of there 6 Mbps connection due to continuous problems for last 10-14 days and me complaining about it every single day (with no resolution).

And they plan to go for 50Mbps. That’s really funny, so funny that I wanna cry.

11. Sulehri says:

I would not have been using PTCL if there was another ISP in my area :(

When they started DSL, their staff was very cooperating but now the same old “Government Sector Lethargy” is their trademark.

12. Pingback: VDSL2 Bonding Technology – PTCL to offer speeds upto 50 Mbps | Tea Break